Approximately two months ago, I became obsessed with chickpeas. One of my first meals in Chicago consisted of a disappointing salad with a heap of plain chickpeas that absolutely saved the day. I immediately delved into the Google gods and discovered the world of roasted chickpeas, the ultimate healthy, vegan snack. As much as I hate being that girl (yes, they’re also gluten-free), I bring a bag of these suckers to work at least once a week. Don’t worry, I make sure to counter it with plenty of late-night chocolate cravings.
Now this recipe is so easy, it’s almost laughable to actually draft and post this. But since there’s such a wide array of temperatures and cooking times and seasonings, I figured I’d document that perfect combination for my preferences. I rely heavily on my secret weapon, smoked paprika, to get an amazing pop and also go a little short on the oven time and temperature to avoid that burnt aftertaste. Also, I cook most of my favorite recipes at 400°F and wanted to be able to multi-task.
The Easiest Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
For 2 people. Prep Time: 10 minutes. Cook Time: 30 minutes.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- After rinsing and draining the chickpeas, further dry them with a paper towel and remove any loose skin.
- In a bowl, drizzle the chickpeas with olive oil and then season with sea salt and pepper, to your taste. Mix with your hands until evenly coated.
- Arrange chickpeas on baking sheet in one layer and pop in the oven for 30 minutes total.
- About halfway through (15 minutes), toss the chickpeas.
- Remove from oven, season with smoked paprika directly on baking tray and serve.